The world’s leading climate scientists have warned that there are only 10.5 years to act to keep global warming to a maximum of 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of extreme weather and heat, drought, floods and poverty for hundreds of millions of people.
Musicians, record labels, booking agents, management companies and distributors across our country recognise the serious threat climate change poses. We call on all politicians to take urgent action. Collectively, we create a choir of voices that are loud and proud in calling on all politicians to take urgent action.
We the undersigned demand that all levels of government:
- Take action on climate change as a priority;
- Ban all new coal mines and expansions in Australia and set timelines to phase out existing coal mines and power stations;
- Bring Australia's Paris emissions targets into line with what the science and independent experts recommend: a cut of 45-65% on our 2005 levels by 2030.
- Take urgent and serious action to cut carbon pollution through strong reduction incentives;
- Completely withdraw from the Adani Carmichael mine, rail and port project; and
- End all public subsidies for fossil fuel projects, and shift funds to renewable energy projects and put electric vehicle incentives in place.
Green Music Australia acknowledges the threats of climate change on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander lands throughout Australia, and recognise that sovereignty was never ceded. We pay our utmost respect to Elders past, present, and emerging, and recognise the pivotal role that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people play in the fight for climate justice.
HAVE A LOOK AT THE MUSICIANS & MUSIC INDUSTRY ORGANISATIONS THAT ALREADY SIGNED BELOW!