The music scene has a strong voice, and we will be loudly singing our call for urgent climate action
We the undersigned stand together to demand that all levels of government:
- Take action on climate change as a priority;
- Make Australia’s climate policy consistent with our commitment under the UN’s Paris Agreement;
- Take urgent and serious action to cut carbon pollution through strong reduction incentives;
- Completely withdraw from the Adani Carmichael mine, rail and port project;
- Ban all new coal mines and expansions in Australia and set timelines to phase out existing coal mines and power stations; and
- End all public subsidies for fossil fuel projects, and shift funds to renewable energy projects and put electric vehicle incentives in place.
The world’s leading climate scientists have warned that there are only 12 years to act to keep global warming to a maximum of 1.5C, beyond which even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of extreme weather and heat, drought, floods and poverty for hundreds of millions of people.
Humans are responsible for warming our planet, and we need all levels of government to lead on this issue.
We urge you to take serious action now to limit Australia’s contribution to growing worldwide carbon emissions, and lead in saving our country and the planet from:
- Catastrophic loss of plant and animal species, including a complete extinction of our Great Barrier Reef, and the thousands of tourism jobs it supports
- Continued devastation of farmland from drought and the potential food crisis this poses
- Increase in extreme weather events
- Rising sea levels causing loss of land and the devastation of our neighbouring island countries.
As an industry, we are working hard to contribute to positive environmental change. These actions include:
- Divesting from banks that invest in fossil fuels
- Replacing single use plastics with compostable and reusable products
- Encouraging audiences to travel sustainably, via public transport, bicycle, or carpool
- Carbon offsetting our travel
- Investing in renewable energy
- Speaking out against new coal developments such as the Adani Carmichael mine
- Providing a platform to educating our audiences and stakeholders in environmental issues
- Participating in beach clean ups
- Choosing superannuation funds that do not invest in fossil fuels
- Investing in research to tackle festival waste issues
- Requesting sustainability policies from suppliers to ensure we are making well informed decisions on purchasing
We will continue to work together as an industry to reduce our emissions and to continue to have a more positive impact on the environment. We welcome the support of all levels of governments to help us achieve our goals.
The following artists, arts workers and industry stand behind this Declaration